This recipe came from Pistols & Pies, my second Sweet Bites mystery. Sweet, creamy and fruity all at once, this cupcake recipe is a winner.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs (room temperature)
- 2 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup strawberry puree made from frozen sweetened strawberries (about 1 cup before pureeing.)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour 24 muffin cups, or use paper liners.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and dry strawberry gelatin until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each.
Combine the flour and baking powder; stir into the batter alternately with the milk. Blend in vanilla and strawberry puree.
To make the filling: In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until soft. Add egg, vanilla and brown sugar. Beat until smooth, then set aside.
Place batter mixture in muffin cups about 1/2-2/3 full. Then add one tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture right in the middle of the batter. Try to keep cream cheese from touching the paper cup. The filling will sink as it cooks.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.
Allow to cool and slather in your favorite frosting.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 242 Total Fat 10g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 61mg Sodium 137mg Carbohydrates 36g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 23g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 3g