A Big thanks to my friend Christina Dymock for sharing her delicious and healthy slow cooker recipe–a perfect meal for this busy holiday season!
This week is a busy week. Between the release of Echo Ridge, the start of the holiday season, and the candy high the kids are riding after Halloween, we could use some hearty and healthy food. These Turkey/Veggie Joes from The Healthy Family Slow Cooker Cookbook are perfect. They cook the day away in the slow cooker and are hot and ready to serve just in time for my big and busy boys.
- Turkey, Veggie Sloppy Joe
- Serves 6
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 green or yellow pepper
- ½ cup chopped broccoli or cauliflower
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 3 tablespoons no salt added tomato sauce
- 6 crusty wheat rolls
- Place the turkey in the slow cooker. Add the celery, pepper, broccoli or cauliflower, carrots, onion, honey, vinegar, and cilantro. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Remove the turkey and cut it into ¼ inch pieces. Return it to the slow cooker and combine with veggies. Add the tomato sauce and allow to cook for 30-45 minutes longer.
- Cut the rolls in half and fill with meat sauce. Top with additional veggies if desired and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1009 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 112mg Sodium: 369mg Carbohydrates: 153g Fiber: 28g Sugar: 11g Protein: 62g